Creating an inclusive and supportive learning environment is one of our top priorities at Fullstack Academy and the Grace Hopper Program.
Throughout the year we work to address the tech gender gap and create opportunities for underserved communities to learn essential tech skills that will help them advance their careers and create impact. We believe that taking action to support education can bring about real systemic change.
Pride Month this year looks a little different—instead of in-person gatherings and large-scale parades, we’re using our laptops and phones to celebrate the achievements of the LGBTQ+ community and recognize the impact they’ve had on the world.
Whether you’re interested in joining a tech affinity group or growing your network, check out the resources below to support you no matter where you’re at in your coding journey and keep scrolling to find the events we’ll be attending and promoting all month long.
- Step In to Your Power: How This Tech-Curious Lesbian Transformed Her Life at Fullstack After a frugal youth, $100K+ in student loans, and 7 unfulfilling years in finance, Noelle found her place in tech & wants other LGBTQ+ folks to do the same.
- 15 Tech Affinity Groups for Cis and Trans Women and Nonbinary FolxIn an overwhelmingly white male tech industry, cis and trans women and gender-nonconforming individuals can have trouble finding a community where they feel comfortable. So here are 15 tech affinity groups offering workshops, job boards, and more specifically for women and nonbinary folks.
- Grace Hopper Program & Fullstack Academy Commit $90K to LGBTQ+ Tech Community In partnership with Lesbians Who Tech, we're covering half the tuition for all the Edie Windsor scholars admitted to our programs. Here's why this program matters and a bit about our biggest group of winners yet.
- 16 Chicago-Based Cis and Trans Women Programmers to Follow on Twitter If you’re a cis or trans woman programmer looking for role models to follow, these developers should be at the top of your list.
- Creating Real Gender Inclusivity in Tech: Our Team’s Biggest Takeaways from the 2019 AnitaB.org Male Ally Summit Acknowledging one’s own gender biases can feel awkward, but it’s crucial to progress. Resources shared at the AnitaB.org Male Ally Summit can help.
Pride Month Tech Event Calendar
June 2, 2020, 3pm ET–4pm ET
Tech Ladies, How to Respond Powerfully to Microaggressions & Unconscious Bias
June 3, 2020, 8pm IDT–9:30pm IDT
PRIDE Meetup: The Facebook approach to Tech
June 9, 2020, 3pm ET–4pm ET
Tech Ladies, How to Build a Successful Affinity Group at Work
June 10, 2020, 7:30pm ET–8:30pm ET
StartOut Chicago, Panel Discussion: Pride Entrepreneurship and Innovation
June 11, 2020, 4:30pm PT–6pm PT
Queer Womxn Founder Talk | SoGal x StartOut
June 13, 12pm ET–4pm ET
Out in Tech Talks — Career Edition
June 17, 6pm ET–7pm ET
Flatiron School, Pride Month: The LGBTQIA+ Experience in Tech: Panel | Online
Stonewall was a riot — and Black and Brown queer and trans people led the ongoing fight for LGBTQ+ equality.
Pride will always be a form of protest ✊🏼✊🏾✊🏿
We hold close those protesting across America. May today's protest be tomorrow's Pride. #Pride2020 #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/3KQlVOWHIO
— Lesbians Who Tech & Allies (@lesbiantech) June 1, 2020
June 22–26 (various times)
Lesbians Who Tech, (Not IRL) Pride Summit
June 23, 2020, 12pm ET–1pm ET
Leaders with Pride
June 30, 2020, 5:30pm ET–8:30pm ET
Developing Pride 2020
Interested in joining the Fullstack or Grace Hopper community? Learn more at one of our upcoming events!